More than a dozen copies of a mysterious text referred to as the Sumerian King Lists have been uncovered over the years by archaeologists in regions as disparate as ancient Babylon, Susa, and Assyria.
They are all believed to be copies of a single original manuscript which is thought to have been written during the Third Dynasty of Ur by most historians, although some believe it might have been written even earlier.
The best-preserved example of this ancient text is called the Weld-Blundell Prism and is on public display in the Ashmolean Museum.
“…In 5 cities 8 kings; they ruled for 241,200 years. Then the flood swept over…”
That is written on the first part of the Sumerian King List. But how is it possible for eight kings to rule for a period of 241,200 years?
If we take a look at the Sumerian King list, we will find fascinating details that contradict everything we have been told about our history. This ancient text describes a time on Earth when Gods ruled humankind for tens of thousands of years. It explicitly says that before the Great Flood swept across Earth, eight ancient kings lived on Earth and ruled for a total period of 241,200 years. Today, this historical fact is dismissed as mythology.
Many of us will agree that the most puzzling detail about the Sumerian King list is that it describes EIGHT kings who ruled over planet Earth for a total period of 241,200 years after the ORIGINAL kingship ‘descended from heaven’ lasting all the way until the ‘Great Flood’ which swept over mankind and once more “the kingship was lowered from heaven” after the Flood.
So how is this possible? What exactly are we missing here? How could eight kings have ruled over five cities for hundreds of thousands of years? Where they immortal? Were they otherworldly beings? Or is it possible that we misinterpreted years for days? Or, as many others believe, did these ancient kings really live through such lengthy reigns?
According to this ancient text its crystal clear: the first part of the Sumerian King List reads:
- After the kingship descended from heaven, the kingship was in Eridug.
- In Eridug, Alulim became king; he ruled for 28800 years.
- Alaljar ruled for 36000 years. 2 kings; they ruled for 64800 years.
- Then Eridug fell and the kingship was taken to Bad-tibira.
- In Bad-tibira, En-men-lu-ana ruled for 43200 years.
- En-men-gal-ana ruled for 28800 years. Dumuzid, the shepherd, ruled for 36000 years. 3 kings; they ruled for 108000 years.
- Then Bad-tibira fell (?) and the kingship was taken to Larag.
- In Larag, En-sipad-zid-ana ruled for 28800 years.
- 1 king; he ruled for 28800 years.
- Then Larag fell (?) and the kingship was taken to Zimbir.
- In Zimbir, En-men-dur-ana became king; he ruled for 21000 years.
- 1 king; he ruled for 21000 years.
- Then Zimbir fell (?) and the kingship was taken to Curuppag.
- In Curuppag, Ubara-Tutu became king; he ruled for 18600 years.
- 1 king; he ruled for 18600 years.
- In 5 cities 8 kings; they ruled for 241200 years.
- Then the flood swept over.
The Sumerian King Lists have baffled historians ever since they were uncovered by modern human beings. The text describes a fascinating period in history when beings referred to as gods ruled over humankind of tens of thousands of years. The manuscript makes reference to eight kings who ‘descended from heaven’ who ruled for an astonishingly long period of 241,200 years. Each of these deified kings met their end during the Great Flood which devastated the population of the world. After the flood, the text claims that another ‘kingship was lowered from heaven’ and that these beings took up control of the people of Earth once again.
For a long time, it has been believed that the stories of these incredibly long-lived kings, their eventual demise, and their replacement were simply the mythology of the ancient civilization who compiled the Sumerian King List. However, some have speculated that the text might not be mythology at all. The fact that the kings are said to have descended from heaven has led a few people to suggest that they might have been of an otherworldly origin. This would mean that their incredibly long reigns over the cities might be literal rather than metaphorical as these alien beings might have had much longer lifespans than human beings. They may have even been immortal.
Join our list
Subscribe to our mailing list and get interesting stuff and updates to your email inbox.
More from Amazing Places
That'll learn those asteroids to crash into our planet. If an asteroid was shooting towards Earth, what would our …
The World Wide Web is all abuzz with Google Earth images of Antarctica that appear to show pyramids in the …
Stonehenge is an emblematic monument for people from all over the world. Built about 5,000 years ago, it represents the mysteries and …